Related Posts with Thumbnails

Bowling for Taste

>> 7/2/10

Despite looking like a bowl of table scraps for the dog, these are fresh seasonings.   

After hearing “this tastes like cereal before anything good has been added to it,” I searched for ways to punch up flavor without having to douse everything in ketchup, syrup, and chocolate sprinkles.  I’ll admit that like Grandma Leona, I save everything that has cost me time shopping and chopping, especially those things that give me taste options.  In this bowl: limes, ginger, the tiniest capsule of Thai chili paste from a carryout meal, garlic, a shallot, the blue plastic contains leftover mole (Mexican sauce not the furry, blind rodent) sauce, a two-inch piece of lemongrass, a snack bag of olives from last week’s Greek food (mezze) platter.  Oh God, I'm a candidate for the "Hoarders" reality show. I've been known to take an extra container of cilantro from Baja Fresh for future meals - I figure it's their loss leader to my business.  The bowl goes in the produce drawer of the refrigerator until something green needs a lift.

My theory is that the higher the nutritional value of the food, the more leeway I have in seasonings.  For instance, don’t mind adding a tinge of sugar or agave syrup to salad dressing because I know it helps encourage salad eating.  But, French Toast might only get cinnamon (except for when it gets maple syrup) – I can’t fight the French.   The best thing about the go-to bowl is that it makes my meal prep fast and nimble.  I don't have to run out to the store for the missing ingredient and my food doesn't have to taste the flavor-void cereal.  

Post a Comment

Possibilities Waiting to be Created

Possibilities Waiting to be Created
Santa Monica Farmers Market

Crunch Time

Gives any well-intentioned cook, completely possible ways to get more real, fresh food onto the table without being shackled to a recipe or breaking the bank or getting an uprising from finicky eaters.
We are big on quick food prep - Chop Therapy - to make real food into fast food and we use what we term flavor savors that give a flavor punch to foods instead of using preservatives or processed ingredients.
We love getting the whole family involved in the food preparation effort. We also use some momgenutity for presenting real food in our homes so it stands a chance against the marketing assault of the Happy Meal.
Please share your ideas and share our posts with anyone you know who might want more real food in their meals.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP